VANILLA CREAM CHEESE ICING PLUS 5 FUN VARIATIONS
Posted on April 11 2017
Homemade cream cheese icing can elevate a simple cake to the desert category.
Use the vanilla as a base recipe and from there play. Add some colour and liven up a birthday party. No one will believe that pink could be so healthy!
Homemade, cream cheese icing requires several days forward planning. It’s a steady process but not a complex one. First you have to make 24 hour yoghurt and then drip the yoghurt to remove the whey - this will leave you with thick cream cheese. From here we make cream cheese icing. Delish!
This rich and creamy probiotic icing can be as sweet as you need it. Add more or less sweetener to taste. Use my measurements as a guide only.
- 1 cup of freshly dripped homemade cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 big tablespoon of butter
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup or raw honey.
1. Melt the butter and pour over the homemade cream cheese
2. Add the vanilla and maple or honey.
3. Stir vigorously until lovely and smooth.
4. Spread or pipe onto your cake.
Play with flavours and colours:
- Chocolate - add ½ cup of cacao
- Strawberry – add 10 crushed freeze dried strawberries
- Orange – omit the vanilla & replace with zest and juice of 1 orange
- Orange & Cinnamon – add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon & zest of 1 orange
- Gingerbread – add 1 teaspoon of ground ginger plus a dash of clove & cinnamon